Thursday, July 5, 2012

Kona hexagon quilt top completed


Today I completed my Kona jelly roll hexagon quilt top. I started it about 8 weeks ago and if you pop back to my original post you will see how I turned the jelly roll into a bunch of tonal equilateral triangles.

This picture shows how I pieced all the triangles into rows and then stitched the rows together into a completed quilt top.

Half of the 60" triangles have light coloured bottoms and dark coloured points and the other half of the triangles have dark coloured bottoms and light coloured points. I arranged these triangles into hexagons, either with dark centres or light centres, but not a mixture.

In the final quilt top the arrangement of hexagons looks pretty random, but in fact the light centred and dark centred hexagons are placed in rows (on the diagonal). I actually expected that the hexagon pattern would be more prominent, but when photographed the the dominating feature in the quilt is the extremely dark tones and the shapes they form.
On reflection I like that it has more of an abstract form. At first glance if just looks like a random triangle quilt, not unlike the shattered rainbow style seen here. But when you study it you can see other patterns emerge, such as the intended hexagon pattern or even a tumbling blocks pattern.

This quilt is intended as an art piece and will hang on a wall in my foyer. It will be the first thing someone sees when they enter my house. I like that there is lots to see and different ways to interpret the shapes. 

5 comments:

Carmel Morris said...

I like it. I think it has a bit of a sixties mod look and it's has a bit of a three dimensional illusion going on which makes it perfect for a wall hanging.

Lindseyj said...

AMAZING!!! :)

Geta Grama said...

This quilt is a dream. I also used jelly rolls to make a tumbling blocks quilt.
You can see it here, if you want:
http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.ro/2011/08/2-in-1-quilt-finished.html

Kelly said...

This hexagon quilt knocks my socks off! I love it and I've pinned it to my "Quilty Goodness" board on Pinterest (with proper credit, of course!). Feel free to follow me if you'd like: http://pinterest.com/lipglass/quilty-goodness/

Anonymous said...

This is simply stunning! Very nice work!